Registration requirements in Alaska

Businesses in Alaska are required to register their entity with the Alaska Department of Commerce. Certain businesses may also need to register with the Alaska Department of Revenue. More information can be found at the Alaska Department of Revenue and Alaska Secretary of State websites below.  

S-Corporation Income Tax

Alaska recognizes the federal S-election, and Alaska S corporations are not required to pay tax on pass-through items of income. Alaska does tax corporate level items such as excess net passive income and built in gains. S corporations file Alaska form 6000 - Alaska Corporation Net Income Tax Return.

LLC/Partnership Income Tax

Partnerships/LLCs in Alaska are not required to pay tax on pass-through items of income. Partnerships and LLCs still have a filing requirement in Alaska and will need to file Alaska form 6900 - Alaska Partnership Information Return.

Corporate Franchise/Privilege Tax/Minimum Fee

Alaska does not impose a franchise/privilege tax or minimum fee. 

Individual Income Tax

Alaska does not currently have a individual income tax. No withholding on income is required. 

Due Dates

Returns for S corporations in Alaska are due on the 15th day of the fourth month following the end of the tax year. Payments are due on the 15th day of the third month after the end of the tax year. 

Returns for partnerships are due 30 days after the federal return is due.

Estimated Payments

If an S corporation expects to have a tax due at the end of the year, quarterly estimated payments must be made. Estimated payments can be made with form 6240, linked below:

Filing an Extension

A federal extension will automatically extend the due date for an Alaskan S corporation return to 30 days after the federal extended due date.

For partnerships, a federal extension allows a 6 month extension to file.

An extension to file is not an extension to pay. If a balance is due, it must be made in a timely manner to avoid penalty. 


S corporations in Alaska may owe tax on excess net passive income tax and corporate level built in gains. Failure to pay these taxes may result in a penalty on the outstanding balance.

If a partnership does not file a complete return by the due date, including extension, may be subject to a penalty of $195 for each required Schedule K-1. This penalty is applied for each month the business is incompliant. Additional penalties may apply.  

Additional Information

Alaska has other business-related taxes, some of which may apply to your business. However, for many small businesses, these taxes will not come into play. Check with the Alaska Department of Revenue for the most up to date information.

Alaska Department of Revenue:

Alaska Department of Commerce:

Did this answer your question?